Gegard Mousasi will make his debut in the UFC on April 6 against Alexander Gustafsson.
MMASucka.com got word of the event earlier yesterday and UFC Officials have since confirmed the bout.
Mousasi (33-3-2) is 5-0-1 in his last six fights. Most recently “The Dreamcatcher” showed off his skills as he defeated Mike Kyle handedly at the final Strikeforce event.
The Dutch native is also the DREAM light heavyweight champion and last defended it against Hiroshi Izumi back in July 2011.
Gustafsson (15-1) bruised and battered the veteran Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC on FOX 5 this past December. The Swedish fighter is on a five fight winning streak since his first career loss to his current teammate Phil Davis back in 2010.
Mousasi’s management team’s Senior Vice President Nima Safapour put out a statement on his official Facebook page.
“The news is out and it is true, Gegard Mousasi will fight Alexander Gustafsson on April 6th in Sweden. Alex is a respectful and talented fighter. All the real fans know this fight will determine the number #1 contender spot. Gegard will become UFC champion, and the journey starts in Sweden!!”
The April 6th event is expected to to be UFC on FUEL TV 9, though it’s also being billed as “UFC Sweden 2″ and will take place at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena. The Gustafsson vs. Mousasi match-up will headline the card.
- TUF 19 cast revealed for Team Edgar vs. Team Penn - December 17, 2013
- Carlos Condit and Tyron Woodley square off at UFC 171 - December 17, 2013
- MMASucka Product Review: Magnum Rocket Science - December 16, 2013
- Demetrious Johnson knocks out Joseph Benavidez to retain flyweight championship - December 14, 2013
- Urijah Faber cements his position as number one contender with win over Michael McDonald - December 14, 2013