A heavyweight tilt is being arranged for UFC 164 between Dutch specimen Overeem and Jackson’s MMA product Browne.
MMA Sucka has learned this from a source very close to the fight.
Alistair Overeem (36-12), currently training with the Blackzillians, was last seen in a losing effort against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 156. The “Demolition Man,” known as much for his exciting offense as he is for PED-related scandals these days, is hoping to remind people that he is first and foremost a fighter to be feared. He will be searching for his first victory since his December, 2011 destruction of former heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar.
Travis “Hapa” Browne (14-1-1) comes into this bout on the heels of a controversial TKO victory over Gabriel Gonzaga at the Ultimate Fighter 17 finale on April 11. The Hawaiian transplant is one of the current crop of prospects making their way up at Jackson’s MMA, and has earned himself another shot at a top 10 opponent after an injury led to his defeat at the hands of common opponent Antonio Silva back at UFC on FX 5.
UFC 164 is scheduled to take place on August 31st, 2013 at the Bradley Center in Milwaukie, Wisconsin. This is the first bout announced for the card, with more to come.
- Rumoured TUF Nations: Canada vs. Australia cast list revealed - December 3, 2013
- TUF 18 Finale salaries released - December 2, 2013
- Nevada State Athletic Commission names judges, referee assigned to UFC 168 main event - December 2, 2013
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale post fight bonuses - November 30, 2013
- TUF 18 “… Of the Season” bonuses announced - November 30, 2013