Following Benson Henderson’s UFC on FOX 5 dominating victory over Nate Diaz, UFC Commentator Joe Rogan asked him a question that confused many when he wondered if Henderson fought the fight with a toothpick in his mouth. “Smooth” did not confirm nor deny the toothpick question.
There have been numerous screenshots and videos that have captured the champ with a toothpick in his mouth.
At the post-fight press conference that was a question that came up on numerous occasions and Henderson played coy with the media.
“I normally do, yeah. I have it in practices, when I spar and when I fight. It’s a bad habit, but whatever. I’ve gotten away with it so far.”
Someone then questioned UFC official Dave Sholler whether this was even legal and things took a bit of a turn, as Henderson said smiling, “Don’t get me in trouble, man.”
“For starters, I can’t even tell if he’s serious or joking. But I’m sure the commission wouldn’t want a piece of wood in his mouth during the fight. But he’s ‘Smooth’ for a reason.”
Henderson followed up and said he was just joking about fighting with the toothpick in his mouth.
When a member of the media asked Diaz what he thought about the awkward habit, he responded with, “I don’t know if he did. But that’s weird.”
- WSOF 7: The Aftermath - December 8, 2013
- WSOF 7: Georgi Karakhanyan wins featherweight title with guillotine choke against Lance Palmer - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Jesse Taylor smothers Elvis Mutapcic en route to unanimous decision - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Nick Newell forces Sabah Fadai to tap out with early guillotine choke - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Kalib Starnes knocks Dwayne Lewis out cold in Round 2 - December 7, 2013