Chris Weidman (9-0) , possibly the number one contender in the middleweight division, has unfortunately suffered from an undisclosed injury and was forced off the UFC 155 fight card.
Stepping in to replace the injured Weidman will be his teammate, Costa Philippou (10-2) to face heavy-handed Tim Boetsch (16-4).
Newsday first reported the story, with the UFC following up with confirmation.
Philippou was expected to fight at this past weekend’s UFC 154 event in Montreal, however he was pulled from the card as his opponent Nick Ring fell ill just hours before the bout. He is currently riding a four fight win streak, with his most recent victory over Riki Fukuda at UFC 148.
Boetsch is also on a four fight winning streak. He last fought at UFC 149, where he won a split decision over highly touted Hector Lombard. He has picked up big wins over Yushin Okami and Nick Ring as well.
UFC 155 is set to go down on December 29 from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Philippou vs. Boetsch fight is expected to be on the PPV main card, which will be headlined by a heavyweight title rematch between Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez.
- TUF 19 cast revealed for Team Edgar vs. Team Penn - December 17, 2013
- Carlos Condit and Tyron Woodley square off at UFC 171 - December 17, 2013
- MMASucka Product Review: Magnum Rocket Science - December 16, 2013
- Demetrious Johnson knocks out Joseph Benavidez to retain flyweight championship - December 14, 2013
- Urijah Faber cements his position as number one contender with win over Michael McDonald - December 14, 2013