The rumor mill has been swirling for the past month about Michael McDonald being next in line for Renan Barao’s UFC Interim Bantamweight Title. On Tuesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight”, UFC President Dana White confirmed that the match-up will go down.
No date or time was announced, but the fight will more than likely take place in early 2013.
Barao (29-1) was originally wanting to wait until Dominick Cruz returned from injury, however just days ago it was announced that Cruz would be sidelined for another 6-9 months due to a second ACL surgery. The Interim Champ is riding a 29 fight winning streak that dates back to 2005.
Barao earned the Interim title by defeating Urijah Faber by Unanimous Decision at UFC 149 back in July.
McDonald (19-1) is also on a winning streak of his own; his being eight fights. He is undefeated at 4-0 inside the Octagon. Most recently “Mayday” finished former WEC champ Miguel Torres in the very first round.
MMASucka.com will have news as it breaks on the Barao vs. McDonald fight.
- Can Joseph Benavidez become Team Alpha Male’s first UFC champion? - December 11, 2013
- Sucka Radio on vacation this week - December 11, 2013
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013