It has been said plenty of times before, but once again UFC President Dana White has promised a title shot.
At today’s UFC on FOX 5 pre-fight press conference, White stated that the winner of the Alexander Gustafsson and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua fight would be granted a light heavyweight title shot. That is unless some crazy sh*t happens during the fight.
“Shogun” fought the Light Heavyweight Champ, Jon Jones back at UFC 128 when he was obliterated in the third round to lose the title. Since that fight he has gone 2-1 with wins over Forrest Griffin and Brandon Vera.
Gustafsson’s only UFC loss was to his current training partner Phil Davis back at UFC 112. He is riding a pretty sweet five fight winning streak, with his most recent win against Thiago Silva at UFC on FUEL TV 2 in his hometown of Stockholm, Sweden.
This wasn’t the first time White said that the co-main event at UFC on FOX 5 would be for a title shot. Back in October, when speaking with MMA Junkie, he felt the same way.
“It’ll put one of those guys in the position (for a title shot).”
- Can Joseph Benavidez become Team Alpha Male’s first UFC champion? - December 11, 2013
- Sucka Radio on vacation this week - December 11, 2013
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013