In a back and forth battle between two featherweight beasts, Dustin Poirier finished Jonathan Brookins early in the first round with a D’Arce Choke.
“The Diamond” lost his last fight with the same submission hold that he won this fight with. In his post-fight speech Joe Rogan said it must have been redemption. Poirier said it was, but there was even more redemption than just the submission hold.
“It’s redemption, but something even cooler than that is I tried out for the TUF season that Brookins won, so this was my finale.”
Brookins (13-6) won Season 12 of The Ultimate Fighter and has since gone 1-3 inside the Octagon.
Poirier (13-2) was on a five fight winning streak and was very close to becoming the number one contender in the UFC Featherweight division. He then lost to Chan Sung Jung in the main event of a FUEL TV card, which unfortunately dropped him down the ladder in the rankings. The win against Brookins puts him back in the win column and will look to continue that with his next fight.
- Can Joseph Benavidez become Team Alpha Male’s first UFC champion? - December 11, 2013
- Sucka Radio on vacation this week - December 11, 2013
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013