UFC welterweight Erick Silva is not afraid of challenges. The one-time hot prospect proved that yet again by calling out the man with perhaps the best adapted BJJ for MMA, Demian Maia over Twitter today.
E ai @demianmaia o q acha, d voltar as vitórias em cima d um cara ruim de chão e horrível nas defesas de quedas com eu?
— Erick Silva (@ErickSilvaMMA) October 31, 2013
According to MMAFighting.com’s Guillerme Cruz, this means, “Demian, what do you think of getting back to the wins vs. a guy with a bad ground game and terrible takedown defense like me?” A rather facetious challenge, considering how well “Indio” did against Jon Fitch on the ground and the number of submission finishes in his record (9). Still, we will have to wait and see if Maia rises to take the bait.
Erick “Indio” Silva (15-6, 1 N/C) came into the UFC with a lot of hype behind him. Entering the promotion on a 3 fight win streak (all finishes, Silva finished his first fight against Luis Ramos in only 40 seconds. He would follow that up with a controversial DQ loss to Carlo Prater due to strikes thought to be to the back of the head, and then a win over Charlie Brenneman. Since that time, the bloom started to come off the rose as Silva would lose to Jon Fitch and Dong Hyun Kim, with a win over Jason High in between. Is a match with Demian Maia just Silva needs to get back in the win column?
Stay tuned to MMASucka.com for more as this story develops.
- Final TUF Nations: Canada vs. Australia competitor revealed - December 3, 2013
- Rumoured TUF Nations: Canada vs. Australia cast list revealed - December 3, 2013
- TUF 18 Finale salaries released - December 2, 2013
- Nevada State Athletic Commission names judges, referee assigned to UFC 168 main event - December 2, 2013
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale post fight bonuses - November 30, 2013