Las Vegas, Nev. - With the news today that Alistair Overeem failed his “A” sample pre-fight drug test for UFC 146, heavyweight contender Frank Mir has commented on the rumors swirling regarding the UFC’s next steps regarding UFC 146.
“I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC’s heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his ‘A’ sample drug test are true.”
“I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream,” Mir added.
Mir’s next fight is scheduled for May 26 at UFC 146 against former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
Mir is 16-5 in his MMA career, with 14 of those wins coming in the UFC. Known for his ability to submit his opponents, power and athletic ability, Mir has only had three fights decided by a decision, all of which he won.
He has won four of his last five fights and seven of his last nine. In his last fight on December 10, he submitted Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the first round.
He began training in martial arts under his father, Frank, Sr.. who was a police officer and Kenpo Karate master. He currently holds black belts in both Kenpo Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
While attending Bonanza High School in Las Vegas, Mir won a state wrestling title as a senior, starred in football and still holds regional track and field records in discus.
Fans can follow Mir through his web site at www.FrankMir.com or through his Twitter handle @TheFrankMir.
- Video: Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez preview - December 12, 2013
- Watch the UFC on FOX 9 pre-fight press conference on MMASucka.com at 1pm PT/4pm ET - December 12, 2013
- UFC takes over 11 strawweight Invicta contracts, women to compete on ‘TUF 20′ - December 11, 2013
- Video: Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald preview - December 11, 2013
- UFC on FOX 9 Pick ‘em – Win a pair of Revgear MMA gloves - December 10, 2013