A pair of heavyweight match-ups are set for UFC 160 on May 25.
@cbeegan90 first brought word of the match-ups and MMASucka.com later confirmed them. UFC officials have since announced both match-ups.
Velasquez (11-1) is coming off of a five round battering of former heavyweight champion dos Santos. When Velasquez first met Silva at UFC 146, it was a bloody battering which was stopped in the very first round.
Silva (18-4) has gone on a two fight winning streak since his loss to Velasquez. He won in consecutive upsets to Travis Browne and most recently a third round TKO over Alistair Overeem. “Bigfoot” won knockout of the night honors for his victory over Overeem.
Overeem (36–12 1NC) was on a 11 fight winning streak prior to his loss to Bigfoot at UFC 156. He has fought for every major organization around the world and in his UFC debut picked up a big victory over former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar. He was slated to fight dos Santos at UFC 146, however failed a pre-fight drug test which set him back a year. “The Reem” will look to get back in the win column with a victory over the former champ.
Dos Santos (15-2) went 10-0 prior to losing his heavyweight title to Cain Velasquez at UFC 155 this past December. The loss to Velasquez was his first inside the Octagon. He announced following the loss that he was going through personal problems prior to his UFC 155 match-up.
According the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the UFC has requested to use the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 25 for UFC 160.
(Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
- Heavyweight title fight set for MFC 39 - December 9, 2013
- WSOF 7: The Aftermath - December 8, 2013
- WSOF 7: Georgi Karakhanyan wins featherweight title with guillotine choke against Lance Palmer - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Jesse Taylor smothers Elvis Mutapcic en route to unanimous decision - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Nick Newell forces Sabah Fadai to tap out with early guillotine choke - December 7, 2013