In an unfortunate situation, Jamie Varner sent out a message to all his followers via Instagram that his training partner Sam Young had passed away.
Tonight was a very tragic night 3 minutes after this pic was taken one of my fellow warriors had a fatal heart issue and passed away in the ring. I’m very sad but I will have u know this guy helped change my life and was my main sparring partner for my last fight!#Igotsam #ripsamyoung @will_is_working ”We will mourn but will keep our eyes to the sky for Sam. Prayers out to his family.” He left behind a wife and 2 beautiful little girls. I’m very sad right now and this is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone pass away! Don’t take life for granted live everyday like it’s ur last, bec u never know when it really is!
One of my teammates posted this pic. About 5 seconds later is when Sam fell and I ran to his side then called 911. It still hasn’t fully hit me but I’m thinking about trying to create a #samyoungfoundation to help support his family, young athletes and to create awareness of potential cardiovascular issues. Lets know ur thoughts and if u have any knowledge on how to go about doing something like this. Thanks for all the kind words and support, I am going to push harder and I’m getting this win and donating a large portion of my win bonus to his family!
- Video: Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez preview - December 12, 2013
- Watch the UFC on FOX 9 pre-fight press conference on MMASucka.com at 1pm PT/4pm ET - December 12, 2013
- UFC takes over 11 strawweight Invicta contracts, women to compete on ‘TUF 20′ - December 11, 2013
- Video: Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald preview - December 11, 2013
- UFC on FOX 9 Pick ‘em – Win a pair of Revgear MMA gloves - December 10, 2013