It was announced Friday afternoon that John Cholish was forced to withdraw from his UFC on FOX 5 bout with Yves Edwards due to a groin injury. Jeremy Stephens will now step in on short notice to take Cholish’s place.
Edwards tweeted the change of opponents.
“You can’t fuck with destiny. Looks like its me and @LiLHeathenMMA on dec 8th. #FOTN”
Edwards and Stephens were expected to tango back at UFC on FX 5, however Stephens was arrested on the day of the event and the organization was forced to cancel the bout.
UFC President Dana White made every effort to get Stephens out of the Minneapolis jail and in to the octagon that he could. So, making this match-up over again seems like a no-brainer.
Stephens (20-8) is on a two fight losing skid. Most recently he took Edwards place at UFC on FUEL TV 3 where he lost to Donald Cerrone. Prior to that, he lost to former WEC champ Anthony Pettis.
Edwards (41-18-1) has been on a decent run, going 4-2 in his last six fights. He’s picked up key victories over John Gunderson, Cody McKenzie and Rafael Oliveira. His two losses came to Sam Stout and Tony Ferguson.
UFC on FOX 5 is expected to go down at the KeyArena in Seattle, Washington. The main event will be a lightweight title fight between champ Benson Henderson and number one contender Nate Diaz.
Follow @MMASuckaJer on Twitter and Keep up with the latest news by following @MMASucka on Twitter and on Facebook
- WSOF 7: The Aftermath - December 8, 2013
- WSOF 7: Georgi Karakhanyan wins featherweight title with guillotine choke against Lance Palmer - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Jesse Taylor smothers Elvis Mutapcic en route to unanimous decision - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Nick Newell forces Sabah Fadai to tap out with early guillotine choke - December 7, 2013
- WSOF 7: Kalib Starnes knocks Dwayne Lewis out cold in Round 2 - December 7, 2013