In the main event fight of UFC 152, Jon Jones defended his light heavyweight championship by submitting Vitor Belfort in the fourth round. However, there was a bit of a scare for the champ in the very first round. When from his back, Belfort slipped on a deep arm-bar that had Jones in trouble. He was able to defend it and end up finishing the round. That came with some damage to the champs arm though.
“I wasn’t close to tapping out at all. I was ready to face the music and get it broken if I had to get it broken. I proved a lot to myself tonight and I’m grateful for it. I haven’t gotten x-rays (yet on my arm), so I’m not going to sit here and feed into a little pain. But I’ll definitely live on to fight another day. Every time I extended my right hand or tried to use an elbow on my right side, I felt it. I felt as if I really didn’t have any power in my right side at all but it’s a long ways from my heart.”
He definitely heard the arm pop and is awaiting x-rays. Without a shadow of a doubt, the champ proved that he not only has some serious talent, but he also has toughness. UFC President Dana White said there could be some possible nerve damage to Jones’ elbow, but we will wait on medical results.
One thing we learned about Jones in the fight with Belfort though, is that a jiu-jitsu player could possibly give him some nightmares.
(Photo by Esther Lin for MMAFighting.com)
- Sucka Radio on vacation this week - December 11, 2013
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013
- Frankie Edgar receives BJJ black belt from Ricardo Almeida - December 9, 2013