Pettis has long been considered the number one contender in the UFC’s 155-pound division, however on numerous occasions he had been passed up for certain reasons. UFC President Dana White announced that Pettis had then asked to drop weight classes and challenge Aldo for the 145-pound strap – his wish was granted.
Aldo agreed to the match-up and as mentioned above the two will collide in August at UFC 163. “Scarface” however has mentioned a clause in his contract that if he wins against “Showtime” he will then be able to jump the line and get an automatic title shot at lightweight.
Check out the below quote from an interview with MMA Junkie.
“If everyone is cutting in line, I might as well do the same thing … I’d like to move up one division and have an immediate title shot. We took the Pettis fight with this in mind. It’s [set]. Exactly. We put that in (the contract). It’s black and white. When we accepted the Pettis fight, we brought that up right away. Since everyone wants to cut into our line, let’s cut into theirs too.”
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013
- Frankie Edgar receives BJJ black belt from Ricardo Almeida - December 9, 2013
- Heavyweight title fight set for MFC 39 - December 9, 2013