Midway through 2011 Melvin Guillard (30-12-2 1NC) was close to contender status in the UFC’s lightweight division while riding a five fight winning streak. At the same time he decided to leave his long time home in Albuquerque, New Mexico Jackson’s MMA and train in southern Florida with the Blackzilians.
After leaving Jackson’s, “The Young Assassin” has gone a disappointing 1-4. Guillard spoke with MMASucka.com just after leaving the camp and he missed the New Mexico based camp “tremendously.”
“It’s been a big change, I’m always a guy that when I go to different places I like to learn like a sponge, I miss Jackson’s camp tremendously, I miss those guys a whole lot and sometimes it’s a little saddening with me leaving but my coach said, and it’s kind of true, ‘Sometimes you learn so much from one culture and you need to go somewhere else to pick up another style.”
Many feel the change of atmosphere caused Guillard to lose focus and hence go on the losing streak. He himself obviously felt the same according to a recent tweet.
Im no longer a blackzillian I went back to where I belong Jackson’s:-):-):-):-):-)
— Melvin Guillard (@Young__Assassin) March 24, 2013
Guillard last fought at UFC 155 this past December where he lost to Jame Varner in a very close split decision. “The Young Assassin” does not currently have a fight scheduled.
- Georgi Karakhanyan ready for the unpredictability of Lance Palmer at WSOF 7 - December 4, 2013
- Newly signed bantamweight Cody Bollinger will take on Tyson Nam in his WSOF debut - December 3, 2013
- Lance Palmer wants to finish Georgi Karakhanyan with a “bang” - December 3, 2013
- Junior Assuncao out, J.P. Reese in to take on Daniel Swain at XFC 27 - December 2, 2013
- Video: Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard TUF 18 Finale highlights - November 30, 2013