A welterweight bout between two stand-out wrestlers has been added to the UFC on FX 5 fight card at the Target Center in Minneapolis, MN.
Aaron Simpson (12-3) will fight at 170-pounds for the second time when he takes on Mike Pierce (14-5) in what is expected to be a highly competitive welterweight affair.
MMAFighting.com passed along news of the match up.
Simpson was last seen at UFC on FUEL TV 4 where he defeated Kenny Robertson by unanimous decision. It was the first fight at welterweight for “A-Train” after fighting his whole career in the middleweight division. The 38-year-old had been campaigning for a fight against Jon Fitch, but that match up is on hold for now as both Fitch and Simpson are scheduled for upcoming fights.
Pierce is coming off a unanimous decision win against Carlos Eduardo Rocha at UFC on FX 3 last June. The 31-year-old is 6-3 under the UFC banner and has gone the distance in his last four bouts, two of which he lost by split decision.
Simpson and Pierce share very similar styles in that they both like to rely heavily on their wrestling abilities to grind out victories.
It is unknown at this time if Simpson vs. Pierce will take place on the main card on FX or the preliminary card on FUEL TV and/or Facebook.
UFC on FX 5 is headlined by a heavyweight contest between Travis “Hapa” Browne and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.
- UFC on FOX 9 Pick ‘em – Win a pair of Revgear MMA gloves - December 10, 2013
- Georges St-Pierre expected to announce future plans at press conference on Friday - December 10, 2013
- After two week battle, Shane del Rosario passes away from catastrophic cardiovascular collapse - December 9, 2013
- Video: Invicta FC 7 full event replay - December 9, 2013
- Video: Kalib Starnes vs. Dwayne Lewis fight highlights - December 8, 2013