UFC 159 just got heavier.
It was announced today on Fuel TV’s UFC Tonight that heavyweights Roy “Big Country” Nelson will take on Cheick Kongo will do battle on the April 27th event, and in a light heavyweight duel Phil “Mr. Wonderful” Davis will battle dangerous submission specialist Vinny Magalhaes.
Nelson has got himself back in the thick of the heavyweight picture with two straight TKO victories against Matt Mitrione and Dave Herman. Kongo has only one loss in his previous six fights, coming against Mark Hunt.
Davis looked to be on the fast-track to light heavyweight glory until being upended by Rashad Evans on the second UFC on Fox card. Since then, his momentum has been stalled after having to fight Wagner Prado twice, after the first fight ended with a no-contest due to an eyepoke.
Magalhaes, who first gained UFC notoriety after his stint on the TUF: Nogueira vs. Mir season, has racked up six straight wins, the latest being a submission victory over Igor Pokrajac at UFC 152.
Latest posts by Carlin Bardsley (see all)
- Substance Cage Combat brings MMA back to Ontario - April 30, 2013
- Mousasi to face Gustafsson training partner at UFC on Fuel 9 - April 2, 2013
- A look back at the career of Mark Coleman - March 19, 2013
- AFC 17′s Markhaile Wedderburn off card due to drug charges - March 11, 2013
- Silva turns back the clock with KO of Stann - March 4, 2013