Seattle, WA – A welterweight showdown between Robbie Lawler and Bobby Voelker had the possibility of being fight of the night on paper and it did not disappoint.
Both men had a bounce to their step to start the fight and attempted to trade power shots with not much landing. A missed high kick by Lawler turned in to a takedown that had Voelker on his back. The two clinched as they got back to their feet and threw down as they broke from the cage. Midway through the round an overhand right had Voelker come away with a bloodied nose which had him constantly wiping it. With under a minute left Lawler stalked Voelker and landed numerous punches, kicks and knees.
Voelker came out aggressive and paid for it. Lawler landed a beautiful high kick which dropped Voelker and referee Dan Mirigliotta called a stop to the fight.
Robbie Lawler def. Bobby Voelker via KO (Head Kick) at 0:24 of Round 2
“I’m excited. Camp went really well and I felt really good with the weight cut. They really woke me up at American Top Team. I’m happy, but I want to go home and see my family. I’m healthy so I want to get back in there and train, but I just want to spend some time with my family right now.”
“I’m obviously not happy with my performance. It was a tough fight and Robbie is very quick and explosive. I got hit in the eye in the first round and it was hard to see for about twenty seconds. Not sure if it was a glove or a finger, but my vision came back after that. Hats off to Robbie.”
- Georgi Karakhanyan ready for the unpredictability of Lance Palmer at WSOF 7 - December 4, 2013
- Newly signed bantamweight Cody Bollinger will take on Tyson Nam in his WSOF debut - December 3, 2013
- Lance Palmer wants to finish Georgi Karakhanyan with a “bang” - December 3, 2013
- Junior Assuncao out, J.P. Reese in to take on Daniel Swain at XFC 27 - December 2, 2013
- Video: Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard TUF 18 Finale highlights - November 30, 2013