A welterweight showdown between Canadian contender Rory MacDonald and Robbie Lawler has been confirmed for UFC 167 in Las Vegas.
MMAJunkie.com was first to report the match-up and the UFC later confirmed it.
MacDonald (15-1) is coming off his fifth win in a row at UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle earlier this month against divisional contender Jake Ellenberger. Many criticized MacDonald and Ellenberger for their lacklustre performance, but a win is a win. Since “Ares’” lone loss to Carlos Condit in just his second UFC fight, he has picked up big wins over the likes of Nate Diaz, Mike Pyle, Che Mills, B.J. Penn and the aforementioned Ellenberger.
Lawler (21-9 1NC) picked up a huge victory also at UFC on FOX 8, however his came via ruthless headkick knockout. “Ruthless” made his return to the Octagon at the beginning of 2013 after nearly nine years away from the organization. Since coming back he has picked up two wins in a row, both of which by stoppage.
UFC 167 will go down on November 17 from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The main event will be for the welterweight championship as Georges St-Pierre squares off against the number one contender Johny Hendricks.
- Can Joseph Benavidez become Team Alpha Male’s first UFC champion? - December 11, 2013
- Sucka Radio on vacation this week - December 11, 2013
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013