The UFC has beefed up it’s UFC 161 main card by adding a heavyweight tilt to the PPV portion of the show, as Roy Nelson will take on Stipe Miocic.
UFC President Dana White announced the match-up to MMAJunkie.com on Tuesday.
Miocic was expected to take Australian fighter Soa Palelei, who is now left without an opponent.
Nelson (19-7) is currently on a three-fight winning streak with all three victories coming by knockout or technical knockout in the very first round. Most recently he defeated Cheick Kongo at this past months UFC 159 fight card.
Miocic (9-1) was on a nine-fight winning streak, with three in a row inside the UFC’s Octagon. Unfortunately he ran in to Stefan Struve in his latest bout and got TKO’d in the second round. That bout took place at UFC on FUEL TV 5 and it received “Fight of the Night” honors.
UFC 161 will be the organizations first trip to Winnipeg, Canada. It will take place at the MPS Centre and will also feature Jake Shields vs. Tyron Woodley, Mauricio ‘Shogun’ vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Soa Palelei vs. Stipe Miocic.
Keep it locked to MMASucka.com for more news on UFC 161.
- Can Joseph Benavidez become Team Alpha Male’s first UFC champion? - December 11, 2013
- Sucka Radio on vacation this week - December 11, 2013
- Brad Pickett makes flyweight debut against Ian McCall March 8 in England - December 10, 2013
- Tyler Stinson signs four-fight deal with World Series of Fighting - December 10, 2013
- John Makdessi takes on Alan Patrick at UFC 169 - December 10, 2013